Thursday, April 9, 2009

I spent about 13 years in the fire service, including almost two years as a sleeper. That meant I was on duty every night. I like to cook, and the other guys on shift did not like to cook. So, in no time at all, I ended up cooking and they cleaned up the mess. That was a win-win situation. For most of those years, I was always part of a cooking crew for fire department events.

Being a sleeper at the firehouse, gave me the opportunity to experiment with foods, seasonings and sauces. I learned about peppers, spicy foods, and how to prepare very mild to scorching hot items. Every night it was dinner for three or four, sometimes more. Sometimes, the married guys would eat at the firehouse and not at home.

One night, I prepared and cooked two roast Long Island ducklings, with all the trimmings for about 13 of us, including two sheriff's deputies. It was a feast, complete with pumpkin pie. One of the commissioners stopped in as we were just starting to eat. We offered him the chance to grab a plate, but he just wanted some coffee.

The very next day, though, there was a new rule. Only people on shift could eat at the firehouse, unless it was a sanctioned event. Apparently, some of the wives had called him to complain that their husband was choosing to eat at the firehouse instead of at home.

However, that same commissioner was the one who would ask me to make breakfast for 30 to 45, whenever there was a house fire during the night. Almost any house fire always had about an hour or two of clean up, and get the engines back in service. A 1:30 AM fire, would often see folks in the firehouse until 6:45 AM - time for breakfast.

I developed a quick recipe for Fire House Chili, and that is featured in a book about the history of the Saratoga California Fire Department. It is available through the Saratoga Historical Foundation. 20450 Saratoga-Los Gatos Road, Saratoga, CA 95070-5935 · #408-867-4311.

If anyone has any questions or comments about food, I am waiting to read and respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment