Friday, April 17, 2009

FISH NIGHT

Are you old enough to remember when Friday night was “Fish Night” for nearly all the good Catholics? Often the aroma of cooking fish would waft through the neighborhood. In my neighborhood, no one could tell about the point of origin, it was always a mystery.

Well, Friday, or any other day of the week, is a good day to cook and serve fish. My favorite is Salmon. I like to use the fillet (tail end) because there are fewer or no bones. I like using coconut oil, enough to lightly cover the pan. Quickly sauté both sides of the salmon. Sauté the flesh side first, and then turn to cook the skin side. Add your favorite spices to the flesh side.

I usually like to add a tiny amount of butter, a very light sprinkle of onion powder, and a light sprinkle of dried dill. Then, I add some water, maybe a half an inch in the bottom of the pan, and cover the pan with a lid, reducing the heat to low. This lets the salmon steam. While the salmon is steaming, I prepare some Minute rice, and blanche some asparagus or green beans.

After about five minutes, everything is finished cooking. During that five–minute wait, I prepare fresh tartar sauce. I use almost a cup of mayonnaise, a sprinkle of dried dill, one Medium Claussen dill pickle, finely shredded, and about one teaspoon of onion powder. Mix well into the mayonnaise and have ready to serve with your meal. Of course, one can serve lemon slices, to help flavor the fish.

Total prep time from start to finish is about 22 minutes, and it is a great meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment