Sunday, May 24, 2009

MEAL CHOICES, MEAL GUESTS, and A LAST MEAL?

I received an email from CMC who wants to know – “If you could be comfortably and safely transported anywhere in the world for a meal of your choice – free of charge – where would you go and what would you eat? Similarly, if you could have lunch with anyone in the world, who would it be, where would you go and what would you eat?”

Hmmm… This did require a lot of thought. There are sooooo many quality restaurants all over the world; and I am not talking about 5 star snobby and expensive places either. There are many “mom and pop” types of restaurants, cafes and delis that serve outstanding food. I used to think that I would pick just one place. Maybe I would choose, by placing the names of several places in a hat and drawing out one.

However, after the advent of the food channel, and seeing soooo many places, I would be at a total loss if I had to pick just one. Also, by limiting it to just one place, think of all the other fine eating opportunities one would miss.

Therefore, I do believe that I would make it a tour. I would start with Portugal, then go to Spain, France, Germany, Switzerland, and Italy. There are travel guides for the cities and towns, and those guides usually list food establishments. However, I believe that I would pick the smaller towns and cities, and find out where the locals go for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I would want to try the “daily special” or the house specialty. I would take pictures and notes, and, I would definitely want to save room for dessert.

Though having a goal of visiting small cities and towns, I would want to visit Paris; and similarly find the places where the locals eat lunch and dinner. I would like to try a cup of soup in several different places; and, I would like to try the French rolls, and some of the beignet–type of dessert items.

On the way back, I would plan to visit a few places in England and Scotland; mainly to track family history, but to enjoy some food as well.

If I could have lunch with anyone in the world… Again it would be far tooooo difficult for me to pick just one person. It might be tempting to have lunch with Sarah Brightman, Fernando Lima, Mario Frangoulis, Andrea Bocelli, Bill & Melinda Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and Leon Panetta, gathered in one group.

Of course, I would be doing the cooking and it would be at my house. I think that I would prepare a mixed greens salad, to include avocado and tomato, and freshly grated Romano. There would be grilled boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, with my famous BBQ sauce on the side. I would also prepare my version of garlic bread. For those interested in adding a little heat, I would have a shaker of Dakota Clarks® Kick Bhut™ seasoning powder available. For dessert, I would prepare a generous portion of my legendary strawberry pound cake; with fresh strawberries, slices of Sara Lee Pound Cake, a big scoop of Tillamook French Vanilla ice cream, and Reddi-wip® extra creamy whipped cream topping. No one would leave hungry or displeased.

Aside from that, rather than picking just one person, I would prefer to enjoy having lunch with my family, to include wife, daughter, son and grandchildren. Again, I would prepare a simple meal, probably salmon or chicken, or both, etc.

Then, when I hit the lottery, it would be very tempting to accept the challenge of preparing a meal for all the people I know. I would invite all the people I know, including distant relatives. For those traveling from out of state or country, I would provide roundtrip travel expenses.

A long time ago, I cooked grilled chicken for 503 people, at a fire department function, so I do believe that I would be up to the challenge, with some help, of course, of cooking for all the people I know. Now, THAT would be a lot of fun.

If I had to invite just one person, living or dead, to join me at a meal that I prepare, who would I pick? I believe it would be fun and very interesting to prepare a meal for Jesus Christ.

How about you? If you had your choice of one last meal before passing to the great beyond, what would you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment