Saturday, October 10, 2009

CHRISTMAS IN JULY?

Hello all,

For the 2009 Christmas Season, I again did my best to avoid any visual contact with Christmas related items for as long as possible. In fact, I believe that I saw the first noticeable Christmas display on the “Ides of September,” and that would have been on September 13, 2009.

I was at the local Fred Meyer store, when I noticed a display of Christmas lights. This year, I decided to wait about a month before mentioning anything about this.

However, seeing any type of Christmas display in September still is waaay tooo early for my liking.

Aggressive marketing is one thing, but earlier and earlier Christmas displays just seems so out
of place, almost disrespectful to the meaning of Christmas. I mean, we have not even seen a candy display for Halloween yet, or had any Thanksgiving turkey and fixings, yet there they were, the advertising for and display of Christmas lights.

When I was growing up, there was a saying, "Yeah, when Christmas comes in July." People would say that in response to something said or promised by another person, to indicate that whatever had been said or promised was nearly unbelievable.

However, it is starting to look like some retailers might just start Christmas marketing in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment