Wednesday, June 24, 2009

BACKYARD GRILLING/BBQ


A question from Jon, in Arkansas: "What is the secret for grilling potatoes? Other than the nail, do you microwave for a few minutes, boil em?...an enquiring mind wants to know."

The secret is consistent heat. These were larger size spuds known as 'bakers' and required careful attention to make sure they were completely cooked. Inserting the "cooking nail," (found in the cooking gadget section of most grocery stores), helps distribute heat to the middle of the potato. Using tongs, of course, about ten minutes to a side, turn, ten more minutes, turn, etc., until they have had about 90 minutes cooking time.

I cooked these on Father's Day. The temp gauge on my cooking grill device ranged from about 175 to 300, as I added briquettes and adjusted, up and down, the tray holding the fire. Most of the cooking time was with the lid closed. Constant turning of the chicken, pork and potatoes, allows a better chance of complete cooking, without burning.

You can tell by the color of the chicken and pork that doneness is almost at hand. A closer look at the potatoes shows the nail protruding a bit. Look closely at the bottom potato and you will see a tiny dark smudge on the nail.

That shows the spot where I inserted the nail into the potato when I started cooking it. For whatever reason, as the potato cooks, the nail gradually comes out of the potato a little bit. In this example, a little more than one inch. Plus, as the potato reaches doneness, there are wrinkles on the skin. These potatoes ended up getting very happy with butter, fresh cut and chopped chives, and Knudsen's Hampshire Sour Cream.

Note, I usually DO NOT slather BBQ sauce onto cooking food, because doing so masks the flavor and appearance of the food, and risks burning the sauce. I like looking at the colors and smoke ring of the cooked meat.

However, I did prepare a batch of my nearly world famous BBQ sauce, so everyone could enjoy some on the side if they wanted to do that.

With blanched fresh asparagus, this was a great meal...!!

So, Jon, I guess the secret is consistent heat, frequent turning, and a careful eye for doneness; plus, the love of cooking good food for yourself and others to enjoy. Be sure to let me know how the potato caper goes in your backyard.

Photos courtesy of Clint, of CMC Productions.


1 comment:

  1. Looks wonderful! I've never tried a nail in my potatoes. Will have to next time as I love taters on the grill. Also like that you list "love" as part of your secret to success. So true.

    ReplyDelete